Thursday, January 10, 2008

Colorado


This past weekend I was able to fly to Colorado with a good friend of mine, Jon Christensen. We spent two days skiing at Winter Park and then a day at Vail. Skiing is quite possibly my favorite thing to do. It is best when it is paired with reading and a loving wife, but still fantastic on its own. I am an average skier. I do the blacks and double blacks. I can do some 180's and some minor 5-10 foot drop offs, but I am still working on my technique. I have some issues with keeping my weight centered. I thought I would mention my flaws before I went into how amazing Vail was.

I have never seen anything like it. The night before skiing Vail, it snowed, and snowed, and then snowed some more. The day we were on the mountain it continued to snow. Visibility was limited, but it didn't matter. We had first tracks down one of the Back Bowls at Vail. It was knee deep powder. I will never forget that first run. We dipped into the untouched clouds of paradise. It was smooth, deep, and pure. Across the mountain, you could here screams of delight: men and women finding the joy of the heavens. By the end of the run, we couldn't even finish our sentences. "Oh My....Did you see...I cannot believe...That was amazing!"

Really, the best way to describe that first run was with a smile. And each of us had one.

No comments: