Thursday, October 9, 2008

Greatest Good?

I wanted to try something different with this post. I want to start a little discussion. It will probably be little because it might end being a discussion with myself. I was watching the Presidential debate the other night and noticed something that both candidates actually agreed upon. Both believe that the United States is the greatest force for good and peace in the world. Good and peace seemed to be interchangeable in the language that was used. I was in my nonviolent struggle course the other week when Jim Lawson said, "The #1 enemy of peace in the world is the United States." So where does the US actually sit on this spectrum? Obviously there will be some language issues. The terms are clearly comparative, and in the sense of judging a hierarchy of peace and its production might prove problematic; but the general idea can still be discussed.

So is the US the greatest force for peace, or the #1 enemy of peace?

I want to hear some thoughts before I post my own...

3 comments:

Thomas (Murphy) Bridges said...

I think that comes across as hyperbolic, and would be therefore incorrect (though I would give it more credit than the two puppets' statement about force for good). It is a needed corrective though.

Eric said...

Lawson said the statement a few years ago during a Vandy forum. He then decided to talk about it in class. While we don't have a barometer that actually measures peace, it's hard to think that the US is the greatest force for good. I think the candidates are mistaking influence for good. We may have the most influence but it certainly is not all good. Beyond being one of the most violent nations, we now are starting to see the violence inherent in our economic policies, policies that we have passed to other countries. Now the world market is plummeting and can blame the US.

Uncle Mark said...

The US has a history of being a great force for good and a great force for unrest. Many of us remember the "The Americans" by the famous Canadian radio host Gordon Sinclair. At 25yrs old, the address is still current on utube. It only begins to depict what the US has done for others as a force for good.

By the same token the US has an ideological smugness that all others are supposed to want what we have. Very little thought is given to the political climate, ideals, traditions, values, relegions, beliefs etc of others. Typically this goes over like a fart in church. Then theres always the unpredictable issue where the US is for, against, for, against yada yada yada.I believe the US has opened pandoras box in Iraq. More harm than good is achieved under the banner of peace when achievement excells over good.

Just your nutty uncle's 2 cents worth. Dont tell grandma I wrote this.