Monday, January 12, 2009

Theology of Religions

I'm taking a class entitled "Theology of Religious Pluralism." I am only two lectures and half a book into the class, however I am enjoying the theological inquiry that naturally results from such a discipline. Here are a few questions worth asking. Feel free to add your own or even begin a dialogue.

Does grace alone incur Christian alone?

Are we to quick to claim John 14:6 without first working through John 1? In other words, what do we do with the fact that God was at work through the Word before the Word took on flesh? Would not such a theology point us toward a continual work of the Spirit outside the church?

Is Christianity, or even the church, the goal of God? If not, does this not open up the possibility of God's grace working through other means?

I believe this is a good starting point. Obviously, certain questions arise about the distinctiveness of Christianity as found in Christ. How is that we can retain a Christocentric theology and not perpetuate the often negative exclusivism that the church creates?

These may not be the best questions, and they may lead us/me to even more questions, but I think that are worth asking and reflection.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Glad you're enjoying your classes. I'll leave the discussion to others :)