Saturday, November 8, 2008

"The making of a great compilation..."

Joy and I went to the Exit/In on Thursday evening to take in the music of Sleeping at Last. While I was there, I started thinking about the top five bands I would see if they were in town. It is a list of bands that I have seen and haven't seen, but if they came to Nashville I would have to see them. I thought some would make it on the list, but obviously couldn't make the cut because they have already been through town in the few short months I've been here: like Ray Lamontagne and even Ben Folds. I have to admit that I didn't go see either because we were short on cash, but that's what makes the list better. If you go see this musician or band even when you are squeaking by, they deserve consideration. Without further ado:

5. Sleeping at Last: I have Levi and Katie Holland to thank for this one. They introduced me to this Wheaton/Chicago band while in college. I have now seen them four different times.

4. Death Cab for Cutie: I was introduced to this band by Chris Allison my freshmen year in College. I have yet to see them live but are a must on my daily play lists.

3. Coldplay: Nashville is almost too small of a venue for Coldplay. The closest they get to us in there Vida tour is Atlanta, and that is unfortunate. I would love to experience 'Lost' and 'Fix-You' in person.

2. Over the Rhine: Brilliant lyrics, amazing vocals, and majestic sound. I'm considering driving to Louisville, KY to catch this band on Dec. 12. (Shout out to Marcus who introduced me to OTR)

1. U2: If they are in a 5 hour radius of where you live, you need to go regardless of price. I saw them live in Chicago when they came through for the Vertigo Tour. If I made a top five list for my life's best experiences, a U2 concert would be in the top three. (My brother Doug has been influential in the maturation process of this particular band).

3 comments:

Eric said...

I started to re-evaluate my list. I realized that there is one band, that if playing a concert on the same night as Sleeping At Last and Death Cab for Cutie, would have to be attended. Though I have seen them twice, I would have to choose them over both Death Cab and SaL. Ladies and Gentleman: Jimmy Eat World- the Clarity album is still fantastic, never gets old.

Joy said...

Eric,
The truth is, you love music so much that all of these would be a toss up. If there were concerts on the same night, you would seriously try to hit them all. Very little patience!

Thomas (Murphy) Bridges said...

My compilation:

5. Misery Signals

4. Stars of the Lid

3. David Bazan

2. Sufjan Stevens

2. Sun Kil Moon

2. Radiohead

2. Mastadon

1. Life in Your Way

(I added a number or two)